Surgical Oncologist Near Me in Bangalore | Dr. Satish C says The word cancer is enough to strike fear in the hearts of people. The word cancer is often associated with death. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), cancer is the world’s leading cause of death yearly. Cancer is a severe disease that gives rise to more than 200 conditions. Cancer develops slowly in the body. Cells play a crucial role in cancer disease.
When it comes to cancer, there are many myths and misconceptions about it, which creates tension among patients due to misinformation. Sometimes these myths and misconceptions can prevent people from getting diagnosed and receiving proper treatment. Today in this blog, some myths and misconceptions about cancer have been told and debunked.
Here Are 6 Myths And Misconceptions About Cancer
MYTH 1: Sugar makes cancer worse
- Family and neighbors often advise cancer patients not to consume sugar. However, a few years ago, a study revealed that cancer cells consume more glucose (sugar) than normal cells. This led people to conclude that sugar was acting to “feed” cancer cells and that reducing sugar intake could prevent the growth of cancer cells.
- But scientifically, the truth is that all our cells consume glucose (sugar) for energy. Therefore, there is no evidence that sugar consumption increases cancer development, nor is there evidence that reducing sugar intake can slow cancer development.
MYTH 2: Cancer means death
- In the 21st century, the medical field has made much progress. For example, due to new studies and technology, modern medicine has made great progress in treating cancer. In earlier times, cancer meant death. But today, cancer is not an incurable disease; its treatment exists.
- Cancer can be cured by early detection and timely treatment. According to a Harvard University study, 40% of cancer patients today become completely disease free in 5 years.
MYTH 3: Radiation Therapy is very harmful to your health
- Radiation therapy is very effective in the treatment of cancer. There is no doubt that radiation therapy is physically and mentally exhausting, but it is a life-saving treatment. Radiation therapy can have some side effects, but it is not life-threatening.
- Radiation therapy is optimized to cause the least harm and the most benefit to cancer patients. Talk to your doctor if you have any doubts or fears about radiation therapy.
MYTH 4: There is no family history of cancer in my family, so I am safe from cancer
- Many people have this misconception that if someone has cancer, then there is a family history of cancer behind it. As you know, changes in cell DNA cause cancer. Therefore, a family history of cancer increases the chances of developing the disease. Still, it does not mean you will not get the disease if you do not have any family history of cancer.
MYTH 5: Only people who smoke get lung cancer
- Smokers are more likely to suffer from lung cancer. But this does not mean a person who does not smoke cannot get lung cancer. In addition, exposure to substances such as uranium, asbestos, radon, arsenic, and people who are exposed to smoke (passive smoking) can also increase the chances of developing lung cancer.
MYTH 6: All lumps are cancer
- It is not like that at all. Most lumps found during physical examination and screening are not cancers. However, your doctor will do the tests to confirm whether the lump will become cancerous later on.
For any queries consult Dr. Satish C, the Best surgical oncologist near me in Bangalore.